Tuesday 3 September 2013

Certainty and Doubt



 By Diah Nurhayati

Asking and Giving for Certainty

Here’s some expressions of asking and giving certainty:
Asking for certainty
Giving for certainty
1. Are you sure that tomorrow will be exam?
2. Are you sure that Thomas will treat all of his classmates in his birthday?
3. Are you certain that you will get A in Math?
4. Are you quite sure that our team will be the winner in the football competition?
5. etc.
1. I’m sure that tomorrow will be exam.
2. I’m absolutely sure that Thomas will treat all of his classmates in his birthday.
3. I’m certain that I will get A in Math.
4. I’m fairly certain that I will get A in Math
5. I’m no doubt that our team will be the winner in the football competition.
6. etc

Expressing Doubt / Uncertainty / Hesitation
Doubt is a feeling of not being certain about something.
Expressing Doubt
Examples
Responding doubt
1.I’m not sure...
2. I’m not really sure...
3. I’m not too sure about...
4. I’m doubt...
5. I’m afraid I can’t...
1. I’m not sure that Jane will come to the meeting on time.
2. I’m not really sure that it will start to rain.
3. I’m not really sure about that.
4. I’m doubt about the result of the exam.
5. I’m afraid I can finish the task on time.
6.etc.
1.Take it easy
2. Don’t worry  
3. Never mind
4. It’s all right
5. Everything will be  fine
6. Don’t be worried to much
7. I think you don’t need to be
worried about it


Example of dialogue
Dialogue 1
Rama : Look at the window, it’s cloudy. We will have rain soon.
Sinta : I’m not really sure that it will start to rain because it’s dry season.
Rama : Hmmm, it’s a good reason.

Dialogue 2
Rahul : What do you think about the English test today? Are you sure you will get a good mark Anjani?
Anjani : I’m absolutely sure that I will get A, because the questions seem easy for me. What about you Rahul?
Rahul : I’m doubt about the result of the exam, but I tried my best on the exam.
Anjani : I think you don’t need to be worried about it. I believe you will get a good mark.
Rahul : Thanks Anjani.

Situation 1
Your mother is used to pick you up after school, but today she can’t and you don't have money to ride a bus. Your brother’s school is 3 kilometers far from your school, then you send him message.
1) What will you say if you want to ask your brother whether he is sure to pick you up after school?
Answer: Are you certain you will pick me up after school?
2) What will your brother say if he is able to pick you up?
Answer : I’m sure I will pick you up after school.

Situation 2
You have joined English Club in your school for 2 months. You hear from the senior that you are going to have an English native speaker next week.
1) What will you say if you are doubt that you are going to have an English native speaker next week.
Answer: ..............
2) What will you say if you want to ask whether your friend is sure about it?
Answer: ..............
3) What will your friend say if she is sure that you are going to have an English native speaker next week?
Answer: .................


Thanks for reading (^_^)

No comments: